1918 Class Ring
While it is not known which class was the first to commission a class ring for Texas State, a very special artifact in the University Archives proves that the tradition has been a part of student life for 100 years. This 1918 class ring belonged to Dora Anna Koch McCall and was donated to the University Archives by her daughter.
This well-worn ring was is a symbol of a family legacy that began a century ago. Dora, who taught elementary school for 36 years, was the first of three generations to attend Texas State. After earning her diploma and permanent teaching certificate in 1918, Dora returned to complete a Bachelor of Science degree in 1941. Her daughter earned her Bachelor of Business Administration in 1951, and her grandson received his degree with the Centennial Class of 1999.
The letters SWTN stand for Southwest Texas State Normal School, the official name of the school from 1903 to 1918. The center design — a single star surrounded by oak and laurel leaves — is from the University seal. These elements are still present in the current ring design.
The 1918 class ring is on display in the University Archives exhibit case in Alkek 580. Exhibits are prepared throughout the year to highlight a variety of topics, artifacts, and resources related to Texas State's history.